Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A personal update on what is happening in my life

Travis Maddox Medical Expense Fund


Well I don't know where to begin. First of all I am so thankful and greatful to our dear friend Danae for setting this up. True friends are really hard to find and she's about as true as they get. For those that know me personally know I'm not the type to ever ask for anything. I tend to be a little stubborn that way. I tell myself I'm not asking for me but for my family. I'm thirty five and have a wonderful wife and four kids and have worked hard my whole life. I enjoy working and have been told I'm a workaholic. Guess my story begins with my whole life having bad headaches and pains. Usually I just tuff it out through those times and deal with it. I had been to doctors in the past but usually they would say I have a strained muscle or I'm over worked. In Oct of 2013 it began to get much worse. The back pain became severe and shot down my arms and I had a lot of numbness and started to notice difficulty with dexterity in my hands. Again I went to the doctor only to be told I had simply pulled a muscle in my back and should be fine in a few weeks. It never got better. It became very severe at times bringing me to tears. On January 2nd I was running the closing shift at my job and sneezed very hard and began screaming out in pain and ended up on the floor. My wife took me to the ER where they did a MRI and discovered that I had Syringomyelia. Of course I had no clue what that was but I knew from how the doctor was talking to me that it must be serious. Within a few days I was seeing a neurosurgeon and it seemed the news only became worse. I did have a Chiari Malformation of the brain but unlike most cases this was not the cause of my SM (sryingomyelia). He said it was a birth defect and I've had the cysts so long in my spine that the vertebras are growing around the cysts. The worst cysts was in my cervical spine area and is so large it is beginning to rupture. This he said is why my pain is so rapidly worsening and why I am daily losing the strength and the use of my body. I have my first surgery coming up soon and most likely several more after that. The pain I am going through cannot be fixed. It is something I will have to learn to live with and the loss of strength as well. Because my condition is so advanced I stand a very good chance of having some level of paralysis the doctor tells me.  I cannot work anymore and most likely never will. I am on a 5lbs weight restriction until further notice. My long term outlook isn't great. I am daily accepting this. I've already lost the ability to do so much. It's difficult not being able to pick up my children anymore or ask them for help for simple things like tying my own shoes or picking something up for me. They are troopers my kids, doing their best to understand this rapid sudden change and helping in every way they can. I know my life will never be the same and the goals I had for it are now changing. But I have not lost hope and I'm horrible at giving up. I am looking at this as a new adventure with new and exciting challenges. The one thing that does excite me is that I will be able to spend a lot more time with my family. 
The reason this fund was started was to try and help us get through this. Yes we have insurance for a while still and things like disability will kick in eventually but even with all that there are still expenses that can be difficult to cover. We live like most people pretty much from paycheck to paycheck. I'm already in need of home medical equipment. I can't stand long enough to really shower and I can't get out of a bath tub. I now use a cane to walk and soon will be in a wheel chair. I don't expect people to pay for my problems but those that are able to do a little it would be nice and lessen the stress a little for my family and it doesn't just have to be money. Your thoughts and love and friendship mean so much that no price can be put on that. Thank you all so much. I never dreamed I would be going through this but having a wonderful wife, family and friends is making all so much easier. 

I love you all so much. 

Travis 

1 comment:

  1. You are a strong person Travis, as are your wife and children.

    ReplyDelete